The word enclosure is misleading. It is a slim mdf frame and acoustic cloth. The frame is 1" thick. If you took away the cloth it would look like a cube frame open at all ends. You never see the VP180. Everything is surrounded by cloth on 4 sides, top, front, sides and they resemble wood framed speaker grills. The VP180 is pushed into the cloth (not literally touching...) such that there is nothing directly in front of the speaker and the frame for the cube is at the most extreme angle from the drivers. The frame is above the speaker not in front of it and the top of the speaker is below the wood frame. There may be a little dispersion off of it, but it is essentially in open air. I don't think that's going to change. He's not taking away the frame and cloth. The VP180 isn't ugly, but the sharp lines don't exactly fit the curvy 40's style decor of the room.

The decorative element is clear in the pictures and sits below the VP180 by a significant amount. You can clearly see the drivers of the VP180 in the picture so you can get an idea of how much it sits below the VP180. I suppose that could add to some dispersion effects, but it doesn't seem any different than if the VP180 was sitting on a TV stand. That could be changed I guess, but it would be a costly upgrade.

The most obvious thing to check is that all the drivers work. I'm awaiting word on that. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited by autoboy; 03/24/11 08:51 PM.