Originally Posted By: sauniq
I want to explore the world of Tube amplifiers and preamps and am wondering if anyone is using Tubes with the M80's.

I also have B%W and I have been told that the tubes do not do so well with them.

Can anyone give me some insight?

The reason tube amps are sometimes contraindicated with particular speakers is not the speaker itself, but it's intended use. Large speakers, like the M80, are usually set up around 10 feet from the listener. The amount power required to achieve the desired playback volume at that distance is so much greater than what would be required at 2 feet, which would be more common with the intimate listening conditions of bookshelves or monitors.

More damage is done to a speaker with a lower power amp pushed far into clipping, than an over-powered amp playing very loud, but clean.

It's much easier to find a 100+ Watt solid state amp than a tube model, and much cheaper too.

So keeping with the generalities, that's why don't you see people pairing tubes with larger speakers so often. Not that it can't be done, it just may require more compromise or money than people want to allow.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris