Hi Alan et al: I've had this SACD for several years and also had it in vinyl, cd and SACD and know it intimately. Not all transfers to a different medium are successful. This one is "almost" true to the original vinyl. This is the first time the tweeter cut out (I have played this recording on two other speaker systems). I don't think it is in the recording. I did notice in this one place in the overture when the tweeters in the right speaker cut out (just for a brief moment) and as the orchestra was building up to crescendo...they came alive again. I don't know what this means technically...could there be a loose connection to the tweeter that briefly cut out due to a response to vibration from source material? I can certainly check that, but that is what I suspect since I haven't experienced it since and I've played the piece at least twice since. I couldn't tell if only one of both tweeters cut out, but it sounded as if both did. It may also be, but I think unlikely, the cd player I was using a 90's era Technics 5cd changer that has it's poor tracking bad moments occasionally.

By the way Alan, I don't believe Dorati ever recorded with Detroit in the old Mercury days, it was Paul Paray who did. Dorati took over the reins of Detroit well after Paray in the 80's and when he did he recorded for Decca. I believe he rerecorded the Tchaikovsky caprice then. Dorati did initially record Capriccio Italien with the London Symphony in the 50's on Mercury and was part of the classic "1812" Overture album which also included Wellington's Victory (Beethoven).

Hi John, which Gliere were you listening to. I favor Stokowski with the Houston Symphony(old Capital but now EMI). The latest Telarc recording of this work with Botstein (CD & SACD)is in much better sound and although not as dramatic or interpretively intuitive as ole "Leo Stokes," it seems to be a great favorite of many, but some would argue. Have you heard or do you have his 2nd? It is quite good...less mature and less complex than Ilya (it isn't a programmatic piece like Murometz), very 19th century Russian sounding and to me quite enjoyable. You can get it for a "song" on Amazon...recommend Macal with the New Jersey Symphony on Delos..a truly idiomatic performance in great sound and has much better detail and drive than the popular Chandos recording with Downes conducting. Thanks again for all your comments. I like CatBrat's suggestion...where can I get the test cd?

Last edited by Captain4105; 05/18/11 06:14 AM.