Hi, Lee; just finished listening to Jim Svejda on the KUSC stream as he finished with the Kalinnikov 1st that Svetlanov did. Re Dorati/Detroit/Mercury, I believe that you're correct.

Yeah, if the tweeter briefly "cut out" rather than continued in a distorted fashion, it would indicate a loose connection rather than an inadequacy in the source material or the amplification.

I've listened to all the Gliere 3rds available. Fortunately, by way of access to two statewide college and public library systems I'm able to borrow nearly any CD online. I like Stokowski, but it's far too short. My clear favorite, somewhat surprisingly, which I bought, is the Johanos. I also borrowed the Downes and Macal 2nds and preferred the Macal, but wasn't quite enough impressed with the piece in general to buy for my collection.

I've used a Stryke Audio test CD(apparently no longer available)for about 10 years and its a good idea to have one. The Rives CD is available on the Rives Audio site for $21, and there are others of a similar nature.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.