In reply to:

These planar speakers are almost always dipoles, because the pressure waves radiated from the back of the film diaphragm are out of phase with those coming from the front of the panel. This becomes problematic with bass frequencies below 100 Hz, because the deep bass waves, being non-directional, migrate around the panel and cancel out those from the front. The liability of these dipole planar speakers is that no deep bass is possible unless a subwoofer or auxiliary conventional woofer is used.

This is true. I have noticed with 3 Magnepan models from the 1.6QR and lower that it would benefit having a subwoofer when listening to 2 channel audio. There is also a bump in the 60-80hz range which almost seems like there is a lot more bass but dwindles fairly quickly from the 60hz and lower.
One can treat planer speakers like a standard monitor where it is necessary to pair it with a subwoofer to get the full frequency range. If it is acceptable to have a monitor like the M22 to be paired with a good sub then I would presume it is no different to pair planer speakers with a good sub. Would I dare say the M22 is lacking because it can not produce lower frequencies?

I am no expert and please correct any of my assumptions if invalid. Planer speakers emit a nice clean tight bass since there is no break in the frequency spectrum. On normal box speakers the woofers play as certain range as do the midrange driver and the tweeter. Careful adjustments have to made to crossover and overlap (but not too much) to get a nice clean flat frquency spectrum. Axiom's are king on this as many people gospel about.

In reply to:

because the pressure waves radiated from the back of the film diaphragm are out of phase with those coming from the front of the panel.

Although out of phase from the back...by the time it deflects of your back wall and other things it will cancel out/absorbed out of phase signal or will be in-phase by the time it reaches your ear. Someone correct me if I am wrong with this assumption.

In reply to:

the maximum peak sound levels are usually somewhat limited. If pushed too far, the flat film or ribbon may be damaged

That is true ...that is why planer speakers are built with the fuse that breaks if those levels are achieved. I have had my planers at really really high level ... 80% on my volume level pushed by a Bryston 4B at 600watts at 4ohms. Mind you of course we are peaking at lower levels than 600w and only for a spilt second or so but I have seen my 4B red circuit protection hit 3 times.

In reply to:

Conversely, some of these midrange and high-frequency sounds may cancel or interact in a manner that typically make imaging somewhat vague and indistinct.

That is true. But proper placement and tweaks can be done. I find by having objects or sound absorbers such as having a bookshelf with books and stuff behind the radiating area of the planer speaker would absorb some of this out-of phase sound wave. What you get is more pinpoint imaging. A lot more focus without losing the expansive sounstage. (Hey Mike how are those sleeping bags behind your Maggies working out.

In reply to:

Conversely, some of these midrange and high-frequency sounds may cancel or interact in a manner that typically make imaging somewhat vague and indistinct

The midrange of the planer speakers are amazing. Placement is key and certain things need to be done to achieve a sound that is focused, detailed and expansive at the same time.

I enjoy the sound planer speakers present. It is the closest simulation of any speaker that I personally have heard being in a auditorium listening to Frederick Fennel and the Dallas Wind Symphony Orchestra.

As with varied different opinions, some do not like the sound of planers or electrostats. (My dad...he is Proac this and Proac that..blah blah blah)

Saturn

ps: if you have a chance give Magnepan a listen. You'll either like it or not. When our fearless leader was up and about (He seemed to have disappeared for some reason) he would give high praise to the sound quality a planer speaker would present.