Here's a message I left on avsforum, at this location.

I'm looking to upgrade my 2 year old Samsung LCD 37 inch TV (of cheaper quality) to a 50 inch of better quality. My only limitations are it can't be any wider than 47 inches, and it can't cost more than $2,500. I want one capable of excellent 3D with as few artifacts and visual problems as possible. I will be using a Panasonic 310 blu-ray player that has 2 HDMI outputs. 1.4 to go directly to the TV, and a 1.3 to go to the receiver. Sound output from TV from antenna to receiver via optical connection. The room is fairly bright in the daytime, but I'll be working on the ability to darken it by installing blinds on a skylight that sits above the TV and installing black-out curtains. I have an excellent sound system, so I won't be using the TV's speakers. I want the best PQ that these restraints will allow. Probably be looking at Panasonic TC-P50GT50 (TC-P55VT50 too wide), Samsung PN51E7000, or an LED. Whichever one it is, I plan on a professional calibration. I wish more info was available. I get tired of playing this waiting game. If any calibrators have their opinion as to which would be best, I'd like to hear from you, either publicly in this forum or PM.

Since I've never had a plasma, I'd hate to buy one only to discover I thought it was too dim. But I don't want an LED if the plasma would work for me.