Until recently, i was of the opinion that all solid state amps sounded the same "to me" while the following is true
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
No two amps will measure the same

I will say, i don't think that the human ear can distinguish between to amp designs that are similar...

With that being said, since my most recent addition the new addition is a Krell FPB300cx,
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373836&page=1
I was able to hear a difference between this amp and my previous amp. The amp that the new one is currently replacing is in the photo with the pair of amps.. Both amps are Class A amps, and manufactured by the same company, they also have the exact same gain... The new one was manufactured 10 years after the old one, so it is a newer design....But, i dont think there have been many ground breaking changes in Class A amp design in the last 10 years.

Below is what i said after i had some time to listen to my M60's with the new amps in the system, my opinions have not changed since originally writing the below statements.
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Until now i have been of the opinion that solid state amps pretty much all sound the same... Well, i think i have changed my mind about that.... With the 300 in the system, it sounds AMAZING... i think it is much better than when the 250a was powering the M60's... The 300 is the 3rd amp that has powered my M60's, i started with a Marantz MM9000 which i liked and still use in my bed room system. Then i went to the 250a, the 250a had a considerable amount more power than the Marantz amp did, but i did not really notice any difference in the "sound". Now that the 300 is powering the 60's, they do "sound" different in a way. The 300 is capable of producing WAY more power than the 60's would ever need. However, i think the design of the 300 allows it to be more transparent, the power supply is fully balanced as well as both channels of amplification, i am also using XLR interconnects. I think it is an intangible quality that audio reviewers attempt to describe with fancy words. I am going to just leave it at, i think my M60's sound smoother and the most natural that my they have ever sounded.

Last edited by dakkon; 05/04/12 04:23 PM.