Thanks all. I appreciate all your experience.

Choices now are pretty much now down to between two 16s and a new option, a Hobie Cat Bravo. demo boat I spotted for sale.

The Bravo is not as fast or as exiting as the 16. So at first I didn't really consider it but after watching some videos, it still can move really well when put to task and has the advantage of some real deck space to throw a couple of folding beach chairs into and a small hatch for 'beverages'. It's beginner friendly so my wife might actually learn to sail it herself. Yet, it still is fast enough I can scare my nephews and friends, which is always fun.

Side note.
I'm well versed in the art of pitch-poling from surfing in my sea kayaks and yes, I know the danger. About 4 years ago I suffered a hairline fracture in my fore arm when the bow of my Quest (really too long to sanely surf in big waves) submarined so far I went straight over. It had to be pretty spectacular for the folks on the nearby breakwater watching us. I don't actually remember even hitting or jamming my arm on anything, but obviously I did.

Luckily it was a very minor crack and didn't require a cast. My ego was hurt a lot worse, but that is often a good thing when you learn your crafts limits without getting seriously hurt.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.