WhatFur, Tony Geno, and all,

Please read my sidebar on the relationship of placement and center-channel timbral differences in the new March AxiomAudioFile newsletter.

Any problems experienced with the VP100 and VP150 in terms of timbral matching are placement related, not intrinsic differences in the VP100 or VP150 frequency responses.

And I want to stress that you not rely on amateurish RTA programs, cheap mikes, and the AVIA disc to do room measurements and try "corrections". At the least, proper room measurement is very complex and you need to start with $1,500 B&K measurement microphones (a Ph.D. in psycho-acoustics is also a help).

You want to experiment with placement of the center--certainly a shelf beneath the TV will introduce timbral differences. But the question is: using vocals, movie dialog and music, are you getting a seamless front soundstage, or are colorations noticeable and annoying? (You will always hear differences using pink noise.)

If colorations are audible with programming and dialog, then try different locations. In my experiments, it's possible to get a pleasing tonal match with the VP100, VP150, M22, M60s, and M80s by changing the center location in about 95% of rooms. Even sliding a center slightly to the left or right on top of a TV monitor may help considerably (it did in my own room), or using two centers above and below the TV.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)