Since I purchased my Axioms, I eventually reverted to what the vast majority of Axiom consumers do. Specifically, I sit back and enjoy an excellent sound from quality speakers. I do lurk on the forum from time to time - but I am not as active a poster as I once was. When I have questions, however, I come here as my "go to" source for trusted, non judgemental advice.

To bring closure to the topic, I studied multiple reviews - both professional and non. I perused forum topics at AVS. I PM'd several members of this forum that I have come to respect over the years. At one of their suggestions, I downloaded product manuals and answered for myself several open questions. In the end, I had 3 front runners - Onkyo 818 & 929 and the Denon x4000. All met the under $1000 criteria if purchased at A4L with the 818 available in that price range new. I eventually tossed the 929 as I don't think I would ever sell a 9 speaker plus sub set up to my wife. That left the 818 and the X4000.

Several reviews state that these 2 models were designed to go "toe to toe" with each other and it was a tough decision. In the end, I chose the X4000 with the swing factor being Airplay support. Ordered from A4L last night. So.....if I don't get too caught up in (to paraphrase JohnK) just enjoying the music and not the equipment, I will dig this thread back up in a couple of months and post my critique of the X4000 and the experience of shopping with A4L. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill