OK - So here's my take on the Axiom VP-100 center speaker.

First, a bit of background: My system consists of an Oppo 105 used as DAC (via DNLA over ethernet) feeding the balanced inputs of a stereo Emotiva XSP-1 (generation 2) preamp. A pair of Emotiva XPA-1L mono block amps feed my Axiom M80 (generation 3.5 - with the new tweeters) front speakers.

When I do movies, though, I use the "HT bypass" inputs on the preamp and route the 5.1 RCA outputs of the Oppo directly to the power amplifiers. I currently use a Yamaha "pro" power amp for the center channel, and a Peavey "pro" power amp (whose fan roars like a 747) for the surround speakers.

Although the front speaker trio is all Axiom (M80 fronts & VP100 center), the surrounds are 12" MTX "Thunder Pro" horn-loaded PA monitors. The subwoofer (used below 80 Hz.) is a PowerSound Audio XV-15.

The room is relatively large. I listen at significantly lower than THX reference levels.

So what of the VP-100? For movies, I find that the thing is absolutely phenomenal! I do not notice any change in timbre when the sound moves from left to right (through the center) across the front. Of course, when surround kicks in, I DO hear the (significantly) different signature of the MTX surrounds, but this isn't about them...

Dialogue is clear, articulate, with no sibilance, and lets you forget the system and immerse yourself in the soundtrack. This is what a center speaker is SUPPOSED to do, but what so many don't. I'm running my M80s in "large" mode, and my VP-100 in "small." When balancing levels by ear using white noise, I can hear slight differences in timbre between the M80s and the VP100, but the difference is small enough that it disappears when the action starts.

I also cranked up the volume just to see if I could get the VP100 to distort or change timbre in any way. The result? No change that I could hear! The little speaker hung together with the big boys with not even a hint of distortion.

Now as to the Oppo being less dynamic than when using a preamplifier, yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I believe that the analog outputs of the Oppo, while nice sounding, do give away the last iota of dynamics. I'm a minimalist at heart, and was reluctant to include a (seemingly unnecessary) preamp in my system. But I must admit that I've been won over. With the Oppo alone driving the power amps (talking of stereo listening here), the sound "flattened out," dynamically as the volume rose. I think that the Oppo was just running out of current trying to drive the power amps, but this is just speculation on my part.

With the preamp in the system, the dynamics are maintained from very soft volumes all the way to louder than I listen. This means that anything I want to hear can "scale" up with the volume and still sound very realistic. So, to my ears, using the Oppo's analog outputs into a preamp is a better choice than using them directly into the power amps.

And to summarize about my VP100, it was an excellent choice, and VERY well worth the money! Now I need to shop some Axiom surrounds! LOL

Last edited by Boomzilla; 04/27/15 11:01 AM.

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!