How interesting, exlabdrver -

Our tube experiences diverge. I once had a Rogue Audio Magnum 88 integrated amp that was highly reviewed and could be operated in triode or ultra linear modes. I hooked it up to my Axioms, and it just didn't perform. Neither mode.

It sounded flat, non-dimensional, and un-dynamic with my M80s. I sold it.

The Yaqin VK-2100 that I now have uses a tube preamp stage and some cheap chip SS output amps. There's nothing of particular distinction about the thing, yet...

The M-80s just LOVED the thing! Broader and deeper sound stage, tighter and fuller bass, and jump-out-of-the-soundstage treble! Why? I don't know. Maybe fortuitous circumstance, maybe the planets aligned, maybe Cindy Crawford blew in my ear. Whatever, the match was the best I've heard!

Tube power amps with transformer outputs (based on the Rogue) just didn't like my Axiom speakers. Apparently, I'm the only one with this experience, so maybe the Rogue was damaged, but I really don't think so. I had it tested by a local shop & they said that everything was working, in spec, and with no obvious problems.

Nevertheless, the hybrid Yaqin runs rings around the Rogue, and competes head-to-head with my Emotiva XSP-1 and XPA-1L solid state, mono-block rig. The Emo has some strengths (cleaner in the midrange, more neutral), but the $300 Yaqin owns the treble, the bass, and the sound stage.

As of right now, my M-80s are on the way back to Canada, and a day or two after Christmas, I should receive my new M-100s. We'll see what the Yaqin can do with them...

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!