I wouldn't claim that a preamp is necessary - only that it adds a smidgen to the dynamics - particularly at higher listening levels. I originally used my Oppo straight to the power amps and had friends claim it was the "best sound they'd ever heard." Despite that, when the preamp was added, a more dynamic presentation was there - but only noticeable at higher levels.

For example, one of my fave test tracks is "Sing, Sing, Sing" by the BBC Orchestra. Their drumming, in particular, sounds good with the 2.1 system turned up. With the Oppo alone driving the power amps, it sounded like a good recording of drums. With the preamp in the system, though, it sounded like DRUMS! Like, in the room with you and with the impact of a live performance (in a much bigger space). The same was true of the blat of the trombones and the trumpets. Just more verisimilitude at higher levels. At lower levels, the two were comparable.

As to the VP 100 center channel. I'd expect that one's response to it would depend on a number of things:

How large is the room where the speaker is being used? My seating position is no more than 15 feet from the speaker. In a larger room, the small drivers might not be able to play as loudly.

How loudly does the viewer want the soundtrack? I, as mentioned earlier, am not one who rattles the timbers with movies. If someone wanted a much louder presentation, then certainly the drivers of the VP 100 could be driven to distortion.

How particular is one about the center to L/R speaker match? No center speaker (unless it is the same make/model of the sides and in the same orientation (vertical, horizontal) will sound exactly the same. Some, misguided by internet blather, believe that only a PERFECT match will provide an acceptable front soundstage. This is incorrect. Remember that in movies, the R/L front speakers are for effects, only. This means that much of the time, they're silent. A reasonably close match between the three front speakers is sufficient for movies (although maybe less so for SACD surround sound).

These factors, taken together, make the VP 100 a fine choice for my cinema. YMMV.

Boomzilla

Last edited by Boomzilla; 04/28/15 12:37 PM.

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!