Originally Posted By: Socketman
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: Socketman
home built 3Ways

I always wanted to try 3-ways. Realistically, I end up with single driver projects because they're just easier.

The way my mind works, 3 way speakers are the obvious choice when building a speaker. It just seems logical to me. I am really happy with how they sound and they look anatomically correct smile Building a speaker can be a lot of work if you look at it as work. For me its quiet time for my grey matter, I enjoy doing it. I can take breaks from it and go back when I want to and the best part for me is that there is a start and finish and the results are usually gratifying.

On the three way design, I would tend to concur with your thinking here. For years I have read articles by both speaker designers and reviewers who state quite emphatically that with any sound, especially audio(music, movies etc.), ultimately, most sound falls in to that "mid-range" area(500-2000k). As a result, without a dedicated speaker that can best handle those frequency ranges along with a properly calibrated crossover, regardless of what the manufacturers might claim, anything else is essentially a compromise especially bookshelf designs and regardless of their price.