As I have said many times here, I feel that the surrounds are FAR more important to me that multiple speakers overhead.

As for the pre-amp vs receiver. The issue that I have is in part the marketing force/perception and supply/demand and what that seems to do with price.

I have bought a used pre-amp, that I don't believe was totally worn out. Yet I don't think that I could tell any difference between the sound that I got out of it and the sound that I got out of a receiver acting as a pre-amp. Yet the cost of the unit new is more than double (almost tripple) the cost of a similar spec receiver.

Some believe that a pre-amp must sound better as they cost a whole lot so they have better parts inside of them and so they must make better sound. I can't say if the parts are better, nor if these better parts give any ounce of better sound.

I will agree that most receivers don't have adequate power to drive the front and center speakers. That is why I will not buy a receiver unless it has pre-out connectors.

I use to believe that XLR was for some reason far better than RCA. Now I have realized that over the short distance of the cross connect, it doesn't make a lick of difference. Some of the biggest and more expensive names in equipment use RCA and get rave reviews. So why do I need to pay extra money to get XLR if it gives me no benefit.

On the flip side, a receiver that has pre-outs probably has more than enough power inside once you offload the front/center channels to drive the surround speakers with more than enough precision, dynamics and clarity that I don't need to spend money to buy yet another amp for them.

I have saved money buying a receiver over a pre-amp and then save more money not needing additional amps for surrounds. That leaves me more money in my pocket to either buy a better amp for the main channels that need it, or better speakers for those channels.

If money was not object then sure you can buy the most expensive of everything. But money is an object and inside a reasonable budget I believe I can get more better sound out of a receiver and better other components than getting a pre-amp and having to buy lesser components to get the same dollar price tag.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5