Originally Posted By tomtuttle

I suppose every generation has this pain.

That made me think, and I have to disagree, Tom, though not with any particularly strident feelings.

No generation before ours (boomers) propelled so many musicians, actors, artists, et al, to such heights of global fame and fortune. We MADE the record industry! Add that we were the first to be raised with TV, then the #'s of famous people we "know" is even bigger.

But back to music. In my parents' time, there were artists with a first and last name. The people who actually played the instruments and wrote the songs were not names they usually knew. When a big-band trombone player died, no one noticed.

Our artists were mostly bands AND writers, so there are 4 or 5 individual names we know for each "artist." That ups the #'s considerably.

Our parents were not fans of 100+ musical artists in their lifetimes. I had crashed through that number before I was 20, just like a lot of you.

We have put more people on pedestals than anyone before. That leads to lots of falling off said pedestals.

I can't believe the coincidence of starting this thread when I did. I had intended it to be more like DraftKings or FanDuel, only sans $$. Now, the recent spate has shown how impossible it is to guess.

(How often do you get to write "spate?" Really? And why is it so often preceded by a temporal adjective? You see, these are the real questions. To focus on other things is folly.)

Last edited by BobKay; 03/12/16 07:15 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.