chess:

I would concur with you on the sound department M60 and MA Silver series would sound quite alike. The S6 has a little wider depth and stage than the M60 but not as good as a M80. M60 has definitely a tight bass and no where as ruly as the Silver S6 and I believe the S8 although has amazing stage and depth, the bass is even worse than the S6. But I only auditioned this in different rooms. My perception could have been skewed.

I also have not looked into the Tannoy series outside of there mini satelites (the one with steel grills) which seemed to have more detail than the Bose. The Tannoy, Celestions, Quad and Kastle are brands I want to audition but finding dealers that are close by are impossible.

As with you I agree that clarity and properties in metal type drivers. I am also looking for a fabric, syntetic or soft dome driver. To date IMO the best sounding speaker to my ears under $2000CDN is a Proac Tablette 50 Signature. And the tablette is no bigger than the M2Ti. It is even smaller I think. Maybe the setup was right when I was listening to it. It is clean, sweet, depth and stage is as good as like...ummm...B&W Nautalis series if you can believe it. Yes it lacks on the bass department(pair a musical sub) but the sound, clarity, definition....well if you know anyone (kinda rare) who has one give it a listen. Judge yourself. The new models of Proac's don't even touch it.

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/ProAc+Tablette+50+Signature/PRD_120476_1594crx.aspx