In 2 Ch listening, I have lots of recordings that are a cut above many others; however, whether it is 'depth' or not I can't say. In HT, depth can be quite apparent due to surround wizardry.

With most modern music where virtually all instruments & vocals are amplified in some fashion, their output levels are mixed to be really close to being the same thus nullifying any apparent depth. The result is a flat wall of sound.

After all of the live music concerts or pubs that I've attended, I can't say that the drums sounded like they were way in the back as they most always are. Even in a symphony concert in a large hall from the 25th row, do the tympanis sound like they are way behind the violins? Not really; however, sounds of the various instruments are easily picked out by their azimuth across the stage.

Depth seems to be only regularly found in reviews in snobbish audiophile magazines that I find not to be very credible in relation to my experience in real world listening - both live & at home...

TAM