Originally Posted by edvacdude
Originally Posted by rrlev
After trying every M3 Axiom makes (except the built-in version) the in ceiling ones were the most disappointing. I’d use them only if aesthetics are an overriding factor. The on-walls, on the other hand, are incredibly good and I’d use them without hesitation.
Rrlev, would be curious to know how you compared them -- a 'double blind' test etc, types of music etc. Given how passionate Ian and team are, surprised they didn't tweak the two to provide comparable acoustics ... appreciate your thoughts, and thanks in advance!
I felt the same way. When I did the original comparison I just lined up the four types of M3's I had and gave each a listen. I already knew the M3 bookshelves and was extremely impressed with the M3ow (tested ports up sitting against the wall with an M3 as a stand) ... sounded as good as the bookshelf. The in-wall and in-ceiling fell way short in the low-end but at the time I didn't have them installed in a wall or ceiling so I needed to wait before coming to a conclusion. In the end I decided that I had several rooms where aesthetics were important. So, I installed the in-ceilings in those rooms. Bottom line, I was disappointed. Not even close to a M3 (and I did try some M3 bookshelves in the kitchen). They do sound better in smaller rooms like my master bathroom but still not close to the bookshelf IMO. One of the things I want to try is to bump the base a bit ... I think that might make a world of difference but since the Transformer doesn't have any sort of base boost or equalizer, at least that I've found, I haven't tried it yet.

Sorry, only subjective opinion ... no blind, double bind, or any kind of rigorous testing here ... but that said ... Go with the on-walls smile