rrlev, I really appreciate the thoughtful back and forth. Pls allow me to excerpt this blurb from the Dolby site, would appreciate your thoughts, and if nickbuol is available, his as well.

The specific phrase that appears to match the M3 overheads is 'wide dispersion pattern', and 'timbre matching'. They did not speak to a full frequency response. But pls refer to the excerpt further down below.

"Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around
anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should
complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the
listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as
possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion
pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest
replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above
the listeners. "

Additionally, in the below, 100Hz-10Khz is the audio band that appears critical, thought a wider band is preferable. I wonder how the Overhead M3s compare to an on wall in the 100-300Hz range.

"If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees
from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then
speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion
patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary
listening position. "

Reference, page 7 from: https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/te...-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3