2x6spds,

I read your post with great interest, as we have both expressed our thoughts on the importance of source and amplification to the overall balance and quality of a system. I have, over the years created test scenarios and systems comprised of low cost, and extreme high cost equipment - only to determine that source is the most important component. I have 3 distinct systems, ranging from a few thousand in total cost to 10 times that amount. Everytime I have had someone over, I can prove my theory of source to the listener.

But I digress....

You mention 3 factors. I would suggest a fourth - listening room....or in this case, the store. It is typically the most prevelant listener experience to spend the first listening experience in a store. These stores - big box, and not a true audio store with quality listening rooms - are complete with walls of amps, rows of speakers, a comparator switch system controlling ALL various inputs and outputs, low gauge connection wires/cables, multiple customers walking around...the list goes on. Even the stores that attempt to provide "listening rooms" do so with the same mentallity, and rarely will attempt to provide a single system approach.They simply can't, for economic reasons.

A side note - if anyone has ever visited a Linn dealer, they place a SINGLE system (speakers especially) in a room, and listen. If you want to hear another piece, it is removed from the room, and replaced. I was shocked when the rep carried the Isobariks (extremely large speakers) from the room when I asked to here another model!!!! BTW, Linn makes some of the best sources and amplification systems IMO.

I am not suggesting that this review is based on that, but the concepts discussed do show at least a modicum of knowledge. But simply listening in a room at Best Buy is not a great way to critically evaluate speakers - which is what has been done. He does continue the review and testing at home, but as you mention, system limited.