Like many others, several years ago I became mesmerized at a Bose store demonstration...how can such little speakers put out so much sound...and ended up purchasing a Lifestyle 25 system and a pair of 901s.

For years, the sound from the speakers never seemed to be as good as when I heard them in the store...I have tried using better cables, and even blamed the poor sound quality on the fact that I was living in small apartments at the time. After doing some internet research, I have come to the conclusion that Bose is just smoke and mirrors...and I am now considering replacing my system with an Axiom setup.

So I am looking for advice. I like all kinds of movies from Science Fiction to Action to Adventure to Comedies, so I want a setup that is flexible in that regard. As far as music, I listen to a lot of heavy metal, progressive rock and classic rock...the problem I have with Bose is that for bands like Metallica and Korn, the drums and guitars become a muddled mess of sound, with the lyrics lost somewhere in the mix.

I want recommendations based on different budgets, so I can determine bang for my buck value. I used the speaker selection wizard on Axion's webpage, but I am curious what other Axiom users would recommend.

As I am using a crappy Yamaha amplifier to drive my 901s, I will most likely be replacing that as well...so recommendations on what I should use to drive my speakers and play my CDs and DVDs would be appreciated...this will ultimately tie into a large screen tv upgrade at some point, but right now I want to go top end on my audio/video/speaker hardware.