dmn,
I agree completely. There may be nothing sonically very different in the way of sound "quality" between receivers. I'm sure that Sony sounds just like an Onkyo or a Denon when played at 65dB all at the same distance. However, there could be a physical difference in how far the receiver can be pushed, how well its power handling with a certain set of speakers really is beyond the listed specs, and this can make an audible difference.
It is purely power related though.
Let's take that Sony labeled 100w per ch unit, divide it by 5 speakers, plus whatever other power functions the receiver requires....how many watts are really left to power the speakers? The previously posted chart on sustained power output is a perfect example of how there is a difference (huge difference) between a/v receiver brands and within brand models under real world conditions of load!

I would never push a receiver to more than 85% of its max capability. Beyond that you could be risking clipping. If Spooky's receiver can be pushed w/o relative loudness to near max. volume, then yes, i completely agree he needs to consider purchasing an outboard amp or another beefier receiver, especially one aleady noted for its strong power capability (eg. the Denon 28xx, 38xx, etc. series).
There is still that point you reach where nothing will get your speakers any louder though. At that point, you need to buy larger speakers if you want a louder SPL output. For our home system, i cannot get the Axiom M60s beyond 105dB (10 foot distance) without risking potential clipping. This is using a separate amp. Our much larger Tannoys can hit 110. but i have yet pushed their limits
That SPL should be plenty for anyone, but of course some younger lads may like to sit outside on the deck and still hear music at the same level as in the basement. Tsk, tsk.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."