The phenomenon explaining this is “cognitive dissonance.” In an effort to reduce dissonance in the brain after a purchase, especially a purchase others may consider unneeded, the brain attempts to justify the purchase by creating an environment that supports the decision.

If you spend a bit too much money on a new car that others feel is overpriced, you will spend the entire drive from the dealership “justifying” the purchase by enhancing all of the good qualities of the car, even subjective qualities such as comfort, appearance and prestige. Additionally, cognitive dissonance causes the brain to amplify problems with your previous car (or speakers or cables or sources), further reducing dissonance.

To agree with a previous post, this is not a bad thing. In fact, there was probably a bit of dissonance reduction going on when I recently wired up my new Axioms. I wanted them to sound better. In fact, my Klipsch speakers never sounded as bad as they did right after I hooked up my Axioms. Of course, speakers have more “verifiable” qualities than larger gauge power cables, but dissonance reduction factors in to every decision we make.

That said, am I going to pack up my new speakers, chalk up their superior performance to cognitive dissonance, and send them back to Axiom? Absolutely not. Reduction of cognitive dissonance can alter perception, and as we all know, perception is reality.