i generally like to avoid these types of threads because I often find that they are not helpful to anyone, though this one has remained fairly civil (I also believe there are others whose knowledge or experience make them more qualified to answer these types of questions). So this post, if you can bear the length, is just my personal opinion on the topic. I do feel it is important that newbies have the opportunity to see all sides of a discussion and make their decision from the information provided. That's why this forum is so great because there is normally a pretty balanced discussion on different issues.

The biggest problem I see is the people who shoot-down posters stating Axiom speakers didn't sound as good as another speaker but did not properly arrange the test, ie - level balancing, similar components, smililar positioning, even as far as double-blind, and in my opinion, these complaints are valid.

However, it seems that many of these same people that extoll the virtues of proper scientific comparison when Axiom speakers are involved, don't seem to believe in these principles when testing other audio material. I've heard so many times that receivers sound different but few of these posters take the time to ensure it is a proper side by side comparison (as they state is necessary for speakers). I have yet to hear one poster say he performed a blind side-by-side comparison of receivers, cd players, power cords, etc and was able to tell the difference. That is why i'm skeptical of there actually being a difference.

In my own personal experience I have never heard a difference between any similar components I've owned or listened to. While I can honestly say I have not listened to anywhere near as many different brands or models of amps some others, my experiences with the dozen or so I have listened to has led me to believe there isn't a difference and it isn't worth spending much more time on. I also realise I am slightly hypocritical myself as I have never performed a double-blind listening test myself. Again though, when listening and comparing, IMO, I heard no difference.

So to summarize all this incoherent babbling, all I want to see is someone, anyone, perform a double-blind test to compare different audio components and be able to tell the difference. I'm willing to accept there could be sonic differences, I just want someone to prove to me they can tell the difference in controlled testing. Is that too much to ask?

(hope I did not offend anyone with this post as that was never my intention - also why I purposely left names or references to anyone specific out of the post. Like everyone else, I'm trying to answer these types of questions for myself)

"Chickens don't clap."