Ok... I think we're dismissing this far too quickly.

The aftermarket power cords have MUCH better connectors on each end than the "let's toss something in the box that gets the AC from the wall to the power supply" that the manufacturers use. No matter how you slice it, a better ground connection in and of itself is better for the entire signal path. Everything in the system from wall outlet to speaker connection is referenced to ground. It could make an audible difference.

Secondly, the new power cords have larger gauge conductors in them. Larger = less resistance, so (theoretically at least), the amps can get more current on demand when the need arises. There is also a basic electronic principle taught in every basic to advanced electronic course that I have ever attended, called "The Maximum Power Transfer Theory", which I have copied here: "The Maximum Power Transfer Theory states that the maximum amount of power that can be withdrawn from a battery or a source of voltage is directly dependent on the resistance of the external load and the internal resistance existing within the voltage source.". Adding larger wires with less resistance changes the source (AC at wall) to external load (AVR power supply) impedance ratio which again, could be audible. Alan Lofft himself has said many times on this very board that "the louder speaker tends to sound better". More power to the amp probably results in a louder output. (This is also my vote as to why he perceives anj audible difference.)

Finally, the difference between ordinary phone wire, and cat 5 network cable is that cat 5 is carefully manufactured with a certain number of twists per foot. The conductors in cat 5 wire are much more tightly twisted. Typically, 3 to 4 twists per inch compared to 3 to 4 twists per foot for category 3. The web site Misfit pointed to mentions that the conductors are twisted, which is proven to induce less unwanted noise. The magnetic fields created by the changing voltages and currents in the wire "slice" through at various points along the conductors in different directions and at different angles. The induced currents tend to cancel each other out because they are being induced in different directions at different strengths as opposed to all "pulling or pushing" in the same direction. Noise on the line, neutral, and/or ground conductors will most likely get filtered by the power supply, but some portion could make it's way to the signal path, and become audible.

My point is that there are plenty of sound, scientific principles behind the product. If Misfit says he can hear the difference, then we have no choice but to believe him. Personally, even knowing the science behind it I would have a hard time spending $300 to find out.

I am glad to hear that Misfit is happy with his purchase, and we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. After all, we aren't in his living room listening for ourselves. He went out on a limb by exposing himself to the criticism that he apparently knew would be coming his way. I thank him for giving us his honest opinion.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.