I am curious to see if having a auto calibrating system like the Pioneer Elite and Yamaha may correct the peaks and throughs. Maybe you can borrow a friends receiver which has those functions.
That being said I was wondering if those systems actually tame the peaks and level off the freq response for your rooms.

I remember the days when I was chastised by the long standing "experts" of this forum about using systems like my MCACC of the Elite or YPAO of the Yamaha that adjust the "supposedly" flat frequency curve these speaker inherit. Surely flat in an anocholic chamber but not in our regular rooms.
MarkSJohnson's listening room is pretty much not much different that the rest of your rooms. Maybe even most of you are actually NOT getting this supposedly "flat" frequency response from the Axioms. For those individuals who own and have used those Auto calibrating receivers get a nice flat response in thier HT/music environment.
It is sad that I normally don't join in any audio debates anymore due to closed minded "experts" that have not looked further into the benefits of new audio technology. As the saying goes 'Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks'
I applaud 2x4 for challenging their dogmas.