Hi Dan, welcome.

Well, I'll take a non-technical swing at it.

At your stage in life, you are going to be moving this stuff several more times. Consequently, I would counsel you against the M60's pretty strongly. Your room doesn't need them, and they're big and heavy. You're going to want to keep the factory boxes for whatever you get, and storing the M60 boxes is only going to exacerbate your already minimalist space problems. The M22's would be an excellent choice.

Regarding the sub, I don't think you'd find a lot of difference in inherent "annoyance level" between the two. Again, it's not a big room, so the EP175 should manage it quite nicely. The only thing the EP350 would give you is a bit of future-proofing for a few years down the line when you move into bigger space, but at a significant premium in both space and money (two things that are premium for you right now). You might want to also consider a SVS PB10-ISD or HSU STF-2; both are wonderful subs in the same price range. Again, on a purely lifestyle level, I liked the notion of a down-firing sub; the performance is just as good, but my kids/dog (or your roommates, etc.). have less grill cloth to mess up or speaker cones to push in.

In any case, you'll be in control of how annoying the sub is. Cinder block construction should isolate the noise better than other types.

Using the DACs in the receiver (rather than the ones in your computer) is a good idea, IMO.

I have a budget Denon and I like it very much, except that it does not have pre-amp outputs. I am greatly enamored of the HK receivers because you can set different crossover points for each speaker. People sometimes find good deals at harmanaudio, ecost and jandrmusic. Especially at that level, shop for features and price, not alleged differences in sound quality. I like the looks of the HK AVR 235-Z for $298. Any of those brands will have "enough" power for those speakers in those rooms, so you don't have to really consider the power ratings.

If you really spend that kind of money on these components, you will very likely have a system that is the envy of virtually all other students your age.

Good luck!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem