my situation is similar to yours however not college, (military) the room I’m living in atm is about the size of a dorm room. I would recommend getting the best that you can afford. Especially sense you want to save the speakers for as long as you can, with the electronics, I would just stick with in your budget for the receiver that you want, until you get out of college, then buy a better receiver, or a pre/pro set up.. measure your room, and see if you cant get some 60’s to fit in there.. the idea with building a stand for your qs8’s was a good idea, I will be doing the same, over my Christmas vacation, ill build a stand to put one behind my projector.. I though I would post some pics to show you just how much you can fit in a room.. ive got 60’s vp150 and a ep600 in my room atm, and my room is approximately 100sq foot.. if you can swing it any time soon, and are interested I would recommend getting a projector, best value for picture size to dollar, plus they are small so easy to move with.. you could go with m22’s but plan for the future, and your future house. I would say spend 80% of your money on the speakers.. don’t know if anyone has said that or not..