I heard the Onix Rocket RSC200 in both original (signature) and ninja forms, but not side by side. I thought the ninja version had better clarity and a smoother frequency response, but I don't know if I could say what I think about value there. I don't own one due to lack of space, but that particular center is the best in their lineup and this made it better. Some will spend to accomplish that and some won't.

As for the Reference 1's, I DID hear them side by side with the stock version, and the difference was phenomenal. The imaging was better, the bass more tightly controlled, the overall response much more linear, and the slight "edge" that the vifa tweeters can have was totally gone. The detail was still there, but so much more open and effortless. The ref 1's are a little overpriced as new, IMO, but can be found used in the $500 range, and I wouldn't hesitate to add the upgraded xo to that. Absolute no brainer.

The reality is that for some, a speaker upgrade is a more logical and cost effective choice, but for some it is not a possibility. If you have M22's and no space for towers where do you go when you get the upgrade bug? If you go towers, it probably makes more sense to look at M60's or something like that, but some don't want to. An example is one of the new projects detailed on their website. The Paradigm Studio 20 is a nice speaker, but not a bargain. I wouldn't buy one and then add a $400 crossover network to it. For those who have and love studio 20's of any generation, and don't want anything bigger, however, it may make sense to do. I have Rocket RS450's (which I prefer to the Studio 20's for $300 less) and could upgrade to RS760's or RS850's or something like that, but I don't want a larger footprint AND I don't need additional volume, so I will likely do the upgrade eventually. (other priorities are higher at the moment)

I don't have any affiliation with these people btw. I just heard the results of the product and was really impressed. They're on my shopping list, so to speak, so I've bought in.

Last edited by woofersus; 09/09/08 08:17 PM.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio