Thanks John. I figured there little calculator was a bit too easy.

I’ve read these articles by Alan.

Surround Sound A/V Receiver Buying Guide

Secrets of Amplifier and Speaker Power Requirements Revealed

In one article Alan suggests that the SPL weakens by 6dB for each doubling of the distance which would be a drop of about 9dB at 10 feet which assuming worse case 91dB - 9dB = 82db with 1 watt. So even assuming the higher weakening of the SPL with distance 100 watts should be able to deliver about 102dB which is still above the 18dB peaks you mentioned.

If 100 watts per channel is sufficient to get the SPL I’m looking for how do I go about finding something that can actually deliver 100 watts to all channels simultaneously.

My 2807 seemed capable of diving 2 x M80s and 2 x QS8s in my apartment w/no speaker more than 6 feet away at the 80dB average while still sounding good during peaks like the cannon balls crashing through the decks in “Master and Commander.” However, here in the house with more distance running 3 x M80s and 4 x QS8s it’s painful to listen at an 80dB average when the peaks hit.

Besides finding a review of an AVR that tests it with all channels driven is there any way to ferret out the true “all channels driven” power rating of and AVR?

Using Denon as an example the price goes up very quickly as the power rating goes up. Obviously I would prefer to not have to pay for power I’m not going to need but I also don’t what to buy something and be left wanting.

The other factor I was considering is paying to buy power over and over again. I’m not sure what the lifespan of an amp is, but might it not be less expensive in the long run to buy separate amp power that’s sufficient and then just upgrade preamp/processors as desired to keep up with the latest and greatest technology thus avoiding paying for the power section of the AVR with each upgrade?

Thanks for the feedback.
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1