Originally Posted By: grunt
Also, what are your thoughts on the long term economic advantage of using separates vs and AVR?

I see no economic advantage at all by going with separates over new AVRs. The problem is that they usually charge as much or more for the preamp-processor than they do for a receiver with similar features simply because separates are seen as higher-end. The main reasons I went with a pre-pro over a receiver is because the Integra DTC-9.8 seemed like the way to go at the specific time I was buying, since I don't remember any standout receivers that could decode the new sound formats. If the Denon 3808 had been out, I may have gone with that, but at least this way I got to have cool XLR connections. I have to say I like connections that click into place instead of connections that you slip (or force, red-faced) on.

There's a newer Integra out, but I haven't really read up on it. I'm still hoping the new Outlaw's Trinnov EQ is compelling enough to upgrade to. Other than that, I don't know what pre-pros are out there. I'm sure there are more options as you're willing to spend more thousands of dollars.