@ Chris - Thanks! I was pretty much set on just upgrading to a newer more powerful Denon but I started thinking it doesn’t make much sense to keep paying for a new power supply every time I feel the need to upgrade to some new feature in the processor.

@ Alan - Thanks for the clarification on the dB weakening with distance. Using either number puts me in the same general power range as my preferred average SPL of 80dB is well below the M80/QS8 91-95dB range.

@ michael - I was eyeing a 3808 for the move and am still considering one of the newer Denons near that range.

@ Fred - Yes I ran the number for both the 91dB and 95dB ratings coming up with a pretty wide range of power needed, however using the more realistic numbers supplied by John (-3dB/distance doubling and 18dB headroom) even the 91dB sensitivity leaves me needing at the most only 100-110 watts of power for the M80s and even less for the QS8s.

I would prefer to err on the side of a little more power than an insufficient amount and I wouldn’t mind the option of bumping up the stereo M80s higher when occasionally showing off or demoing the speakers.

What exactly is a “pro amp?” If that means going the separates route it’s looking more promising. Any suggestions on good pre/pro combinations?

An AVR is still a viable option I’m just not sure how to figure out if one will supply all the channels with the power they will need to reach the 80dB average with peaks of 18dB. Plus like I said above I’m not seeing the long term cost savings in replacing the power section every time I want to upgrade the processor side.

@ John - Thanks for the explanation. Either set of number seems to put me in the 100 to 110dB range for the max power I’ll need per channel. Is there any way to know from manufactures stated power ratings how much total power an AVR can deliver between all it’s channels or is an independent test needed?

Also, what are your thoughts on the long term economic advantage of using separates vs and AVR?

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1