Originally Posted By: Adrian
I read on one of the forums(AVS?) that only the digital amps by QSC are still made in the US, the rest are made offshore. I'm quite sure that many amp companies are subbing their work to a common denominator offshore and perhaps they have to make a few minor internal changes to skirt whatever laws apply. It was actually stated on some forums that Behringer, Tapco and QSC(GX series?) were made in the same plant, right next to each other. I've also run across a number of other amps with "unknown names" that look and spec so similar to these that it makes you wonder(sometimes they hardly give you any specs at all, LOL). I guess it doesn't really matter where they're made as long as the company(Behr, Mackie, QSC ect) stands behind them.

I have a QSC GX-5. The inside is a very clean layout, but nothing about it implies made in a German lab or Swiss watch factory. I don't care if it is made in China if held to QSC's tolerances. I'd love a built in the US option, but I'm too cheap for that right now.

As to the competitors you mention, they may well be made in the same line with the same components - I have no idea. But when shopping I found the specs varied a decent amount - power, S/N, THD, etc. I tried a Peavy and it was too noise at idle for me. And the GX is a class-H layout, I did not remember those others using the H layout.

I am a big fan of the H topography as it keeps the heat to an absolute minimum except for high volume use when it switches to the high-current rail.

And note that the QSc GXs have RCA inputs so you don't have to work around the XLR inputs on most pro gear.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire