Originally Posted By: Zimm

I've mentioned before that my Denon AVR-3300 is rated at 110x5 (I think?) but actually starts to clip the signal at 84 watts, according to HT Mag.

That’s the big problem I’m trying to figure out is outside of a reviewers measurements how to determine what the real power going to all the channels is. My Denon 2807 is rated at 110x7 and I can play 2ch music up to 105dB without a problem, however in a demanding multi channel scene it starts clipping/distorting way below that.

So I need to know for sure how much say a 120 watt Denon can really deliver to 7 or 4 channels. 7 if I used it stand alone, and 4 if I used it for the just surrounds/backs. Above 120 watts the price really starts going up fast.

OTOH if I do end up getting the Outlaw 997 then I’m going to need amplification for all 7 channels.

Originally Posted By: Zimm

As for pro amps, I will warn that many lack RCA inputs, so you need XLR converters if you don't have a separate pre-amp.

Good to know. I’ve checked out the Behringer A500 mentioned by fred and it looks promising. But now I need to start figuring out what other specs. in an amp are important. For instance what are good numbers for S/N ratio, crosstalk, frequency response, THD+N and anything else I‘m leaving out. Also in which direction are those numbers better and worse. I’m assuming smaller is better for the ones I mentioned. Plus, is there a sort of cut of were a better or worse number isn’t really noticeable. And how does the amp design A/B etc… effect it’s performance in various roles. I guess what I’m saying is I really need a good primer on amps but have yet to find one.

Basically I don’t want to pay for a bunch of power I don’t need while ignoring other factors that may be more important to me in the amps performance.

Thanks for bearing with me on this guys, I’m usually not this dense. ;\)

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1