Originally Posted By: grunt
@ anyone - is there any disadvantage to having a long wire run from a pre-processor/receiver analogue outs to the amp. Reason I’m asking is that if I did get something like the Emotiva XPA-3 to power the M80s I could place it behind the screen which would also put it on a separate circuit from all the rest of the equipment in the office.

The pre-outs are pretty low level which means strong outside interference will have more of an effect on them, than say the speaker level lines. Good quality, shielded coax will help a lot. Shielded XLR will help even more (provided the preamp and amp both have XLR jacks).

Quote:
Part of the reason I ask is because sometimes on my weekdays off I can hear very faint music coming from my center M22 speaker when my system is on and nothing is playing. So I wasn’t sure what was causing it to pick up a stray signal or were it’s coming from . It’s inaudible when anything is playing so I haven’t tried to figure out why it’s happening or why only that speaker (only thing different about it is that it’s hooked up via a switch with the M80 center).

Sounds like an AM radio station is being rectified in some piece of gear. Get an AM radio and scan the dial to see if you can find the same music playing there. Not that it will help anything, just confirm the theory. Could be the switch, or even the power cord of the receiver--don't know why it would be only one channel, but stranger things have happened.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris