I have been out of the loop on the ep800 saga, here is my little bit: My first pre-release ep800 was DOA, but the box was pretty smashed up so most likely it was the shipper at fault.

The replacement unit had a version 1 amp, from what I understand, the one with the thumping sound when you turn it off, although it appeared that version 2 had already been issued according to the forums.

Everything worked great until one day when I sat down to watch Hulk, my old nemesis that always shut down the XPA2, I blew out the top speaker (the cone was frozen forward) during some of the deep bass scenes toward the end.

Axiom immediately replaced the speaker but occasionally I still hear a popping sound on low bass even on TV at not all that loud volumes, i.e., shows that mix in a little too much sub. The crackling or popping sound in great profusion had immediately preceded the speaker being blown during the viewing of Hulk. I am running a denon 3808 into an Axiom 1400-8 and generally play back below 0 db on the volume.

Anyway I thought the ep800 dsp was supposed to prevent overdriving the subwoofers? It's an occasional issue and not an issue with music, but part of the fun with HT material is just to be able to sit back and let the explosions unfold, so it spoils things a bit to hear popping sounds during the most dramatic scenes and have to grab for the remote so the speaker won't be blown.

I haven't taken the time to read through all of these posts, but if anyone could clarify anything with regard to the popping sound/blown subwoofer issue I am experiencing, it would be much appreciated.

SatKartr

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."