OK so running the two subs has officially ruined me, long story short it is a huge improvement.

What I found surprising was that it significantly improves all of the material, not just material that emphasizes bass or LFEs. Three things specifically I notice: 1) everything sounds more realistic and distinct because it is anchored by a more accurate low end, 2) the surround effects are much more pronounced, believable, and vivid, and 3) the soundstage is more opened up, if that's the right term, i.e., a lot of sounds don't seem to be coming from specific speakers so much as originating from different locations within the room.

One reason I suspect that the directionality or localization of the sound, so to speak, is so much better is that with only one sub there is a slight or not so slight directionality to the low frequencies that is not supposed to be present and that directionality disrupts the effects of left/right, front/back, side/side so that you don't clearly perceive what the source material is trying to say about where in the room or on the screen the sound is supposed to be emanating from, all those implications become a bit muddy or fuzzy, and realism goes out the window.

This is what I was afraid of, because now I want a second sub, and can't afford one. Where there's a will there's a way, or will be one day I suppose, at least this way I'll know why I should bother to get a second sub if I ever happen to be flush again.

Has anyone tried mating the EP800 with something less spendy and achieving a reasonable blend? I must say though, the two whale subs sure do seem to go together.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."