Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: grunt
Seems to me it usually takes more than one person to argue. Well I argue with myself all the time but then I’m weird. wink

You're absolutely right. And, I would add, when you (Dean) have engaged other posters in debates/arguments, you have done so in a constructive, healthy way, IMHO.

God, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here. Arguing is not inherently evil. A well-made argument can enlighten people. If a person is in the right and can persuade others of that fact, then, of course, a well-played argument serves a purpose. But endless arguing on audio boards is madness. So much of what we're talking about is subjective, for crying out loud. Who can win such arguments? And if you do "win" the argument, at what cost?

One last thing. Does anyone else think the "fanboy" card is being inappropriately overplayed?

Thanks Doc. I will have to admit to taking a shot at some people now and then but if I do rest assured there is a teaching point behind it, usually involving holding up a mirror to said individual. That comment is also usually my parting shot since once the personal attacks start there’s usually no going back. So I “win” my side of those arguments by not clicking the “submit” button on that topic anymore. They other guy can have the last word since It’s not that important to me.

You are absolutely correct that arguments can be constructive but IMO only when they don’t devolve down to the personal level. When the discussion becomes about the people having the argument and not the subject at hand it’s time to end it since it’s value is gone.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1