Littleb - I know a lot of people who think I am a liberal, too. When one is a Libertarian, one usually aggravates BOTH sides of the political spectrum, depending on the topic.

I feel for your son - When I went to college, my parents gave me a ride to school, and that was it. No tuition $$$, no room and board ... nothing. I know what being broke feels like.

Regarding your vehicle, the tech is probably right - the fuel sending unit in the gas tank is probably the culprit.

You said "old" Explorer - Ford has sold millions of those things - I bet you can find a "new" tank w/sending unit at a "junkyard" for VERY little $$$. Then find, if you can, a corner mechanic - around here they are still available - and you should be ok for very little $$$.

The "junkyards" BTW, are even computerized now, and if they don't have the right part there, they often can find one.

Another idea is to stop by a NAPA, or similar parts place, some of those guys are miracle workers - I have seen people get their vehicle "well" again with an additive to clean the system out ... which would even be better than the "junkyard" solution.

I hope this helps !