Nick,

With all due respect to you and anyone else of the conservative ilk, I have to say that I believe the administrations vow to send the national guard to the border is a knee jerk reaction probably being driven to improve some weak poll numbers. I feel you have to deal with the causes, which I see as the people who employ these people and the Mexican government itself. I say that anyone who employs illegal immigrants needs jailtime and some heavy fines. If the residents of Mexico were making a living wage in their home country, they wouldn't be leaving their homes to make $3/hr in this country. If the Mexican government won't deal with this willingly, maybe a mass boycott of Mexican products would do the trick. I say this after watching the GF purchase a Mexican vacuum cleaner. I won't say it didn't bother me, though, because it did. I think we, as Americans, find ourselves in sort of a vicious circle. On one hand, we want to purchase products which are values, but in the back of our minds we realize that the workers that allow our purchasing power to expand are being exploited.