Geez, Mike, thanks for the tips! I've always been a big AC/DC fan, too. See the Live at Donnington video (it's Brian Johnson not Bon Scott, but the production is pretty darn cool).

Guys, you all know that "best" is entirely subjective. I mean, many of the bands mentioned were clearly innovative, influential, creative, successful, etc. But how do you measure "best"? Does it equate with "most enjoyable to me"? Do musicianship, longevity, live performance, etc. count?

Since we've thrown national origin into it, would you include as a criterion whether or not the music expressed a particular and identifiable "American" character? I'm sure it will not surprise many of you to learn that my personal answer to that question is "yes". To echo BrotherBob's sentiments, there are many bands from America who make wonderful and powerful music, but yet fail to express anything that resonates with me as uniquely American. Likewise, it is common for US-originated genres to be improved by the perspective and interpretation of musicians from around the world.

I will grant that - as I get older - the nature of my emotional involvement in music has evolved.

Here are some of my favorites:

John Hiatt (with whatever incarnation of his backup band)
Lyle Lovett and his large band
Allman Brothers
Count Basie Band with Joe Williams
Duke Ellington Orchestra
Miles
SRV and Double Trouble
BB King Blues Band

Now, some of you may object to my list in that it is composed almost entirely of groups dominated by one particularly talented or charismatic leader. I would contend that in all of these cases, the spontaneous creative interplay between musicians is well respected and represented. If that were not true, the music would simply not be as rich as it is.

Mark, get a job.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem