Quote:

To use or not to use a projector has been hammered in depth on this forum. There have been some pretty good discussions, and you might want to search for some of them. I’m running behind with too little time with too much to do lately to really get into it again. I hate telling folks to search, but suggest you do that anyway.

In short, projector use and screen size / placement should not be done on whim, and definitely do not just ‘wing’ it. You need to consider width, height, and distance from the floor (to give you a comfortable neck angle viewing), ambient light, projector placement and tolerable noise level, wiring, surge protection…..and on and on.

I’ll make one point for now…. Don’t put too much faith in THX or any other “width” recommendations. They are all based off opinion from what I can tell, including THX. I am a firm believer that size is something only YOU can come up with. Do you like sitting in the front row at the movie theater, or do you sit in the back?? Also, I find that the height of the screen makes more of a difference than width. Width does not give me eye strain nearly as much as height.

And for your reference, I sit 12’ away from a 96 X 41 screen and shoot 1080P at it. It looks quite amazing to me, but one foot closer is simply too big. I probably should have gone with 84 X 36.

Cool, thanks for the input. Yeah I've done quite a bit of reading and such coming to my approx screen size decision.. and I'm not going to actually buy the screen itself until I play with it for a while, I'll just paint the wall to start. That's the nice thing about the projector is the screen size can be adjusted somewhat.

I've gone through the projector calculators to make sure and get the right distance, make sure the lens can shift the image enough so the projector doesn't have to hang too low, etc. I've read lots of reviews on the projector I'm considering, though of course you never know until you get it I guess.