Quote:

Is your projector 1080p or 720p? I've been thinking of a 1080p projector, but they're a bit more expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost.

Unless you are planning to spend the bucks soon to purchase a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player and play HD discs, I wouldn't recommend purchasing a 1080p projector at this time. 1080p projectors are still in the $5000+ CDN neighbourhood and if you are like many of us and will mostly be viewing SD DVD's through your projector with a decent upconverting player (e.g. Oppo or many others) you won't see a big improvement in image quality (detail) between a 720p and 1080p projector. However, if you plan to watch HD TV with the projector then going with a 1080p model may better suit your needs/desires.

I don't watch a lot of TV so my thinking is right now SD DVD's, players and 720p projectors/displays are all a lot cheaper than their "true" HD equivalents. However, in 3 years or so when it is time for me to spend $300-400 to replace the bulb in my 720p the HD gear will probably have come so far down in price that it will make more sense to put the $ into going the HD projector/player/DVD's route.

Good 720p projectors like the Mitsubishi HD1000 or Sanyo Z5 can be had for $1300-1500 CDN at online dealers like Quebec Acoustic or Complete-it. Which one of these (or the many other good projectors available) is best for you depends on your viewing environment and budget (e.g. the Mitsubishi is a couple $100 cheaper than the Sanyo and with higher lumens has an advantage in rooms with moderate light control. However, the Mitsubishi is much more limited compared with the Sanyo (and many other models) in where it can be mounted to put the picture where you want it. The greater lense throw ratio and lense shift feature of the Z5 gives it a lot more options for placement.).

Enjoy the search!