DirecTv has launched 2 satellites this year (the latest in July). This will enable them to begin beaming over 100 (their stated intent) new HD channels. According to the DirecTv programming forum at DBStalk.com, 70 of those channels will go live in September. DTV will also be able to add the locals in HD to the smaller markets. While they haven't gone nuts notifying existing customers about this, the notices should begin to happen relatively soon.

An equipment upgrade will be required to take advantage of the new HD programming; you won't be able to get it with your current equipment. The required equipment includes a 5 LNB slimline dish (most of those currently installed are 3 LNB) and either a new HD receiver (H20 or the soon to be available H21) or a HD DVR receiver (HR20 or the soon to be introduced H21). The newer equipment has been available for several months and DTV has been quietly installing it (it picks up the current sat signals).

I've been following this since the first of the year and decided to act today (ordered the dish, an HD receiver and a DVR), thinking I would avoid the rush. Well today I got a surprise in scheduling my upgrade installation. The EARLIEST date I could get was October 12th. I'll be calling the installer tomorrow to see if we can improve on that.

I am telling you this to make you aware of the pending logjam and give you the chance to get into the process and avoid a June install.

I hope it helps some of you.

Last edited by Ray3; 08/21/07 11:22 PM.