The PS3/Blu-Ray combination really helped to "drive" up the numbers of Blu-Ray players sold since they are counted in the numbers. Most of what I've ready say that a majority of PS3 owners only have 1 or 2 Blu-Ray movies (Spiderman is most likely one since it came bundled with most PS3's of late), but they aren't buying additional titles.

Sony knew that they HAD to push a Blu-Ray drive with the PS3. It is helping them in the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war, but is hurting them to the extreme in the gaming arena. So was it a good idea for Sony to push Blu-Ray so hard with their PS3? A lot of "experts" say "no"... Going from #1 to #3 in the console game war is a HUGE loss. Plus to add insult to injury, Sony lost a lot of money on both the PS3 and the Blu-Ray drive that they put into the machines just to make that drop.

Back to the question at hand, though, there are Blu-Ray players on the horizon that should be a significant jump forward in stability and features for Blu-Ray to get them to where HD-DVD drives are at, which aren't perfect, but for a short wait...

But yes, if you are a console gamer, and don't have the #1 or #2 console (which if you don't would make me question if you are a console gamer or not), then go for the PS3. It is like getting a gaming console and for a small extra fee, getting a basic, but pretty good, Blu-Ray player as well.

I'm waiting for a combo drive at this point, and I am hoping to wait a year or so before getting it so that the costs are down.

Farewell - June 4, 2020