It seems to me many that post here would be interested in the new audio formats as well as getting a high def picture. I decided my jump to HD movies was going to have to to allow me to get these new audio formats with my current receiver-a Denon 3805. I love this receiver, but it doesn't have HDMI. After reading a blue million posts, I learned that the only way to do this was to get a player that would send the signals through analog to my Denon. That placed me firmly in the HD DVD camp with the A35. Over Christmas I had the Toshiba 35 in my Amazon checkout box three times but thankfully never pulled the trigger.

Now that it has become obvious that the likely winner of the format war will be Blu, I've shifted my attention to that side. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any players out there that will do this (yet).

So I have now turned my attention to the new Panasonic BD 50 which is due out this spring. It will apparently send the new audio formats through analog. I know there is a Denon player that will do what I need, but it's too expensive for me. The price of the new Panasonic has not been announced, but many believe it will be in the $500 range- still too much for me, so I will likely wait until the fall or black Friday to make the jump to High Def DVD.

Seems to me the BD 50 is the logical choice for someone who does not have an HDMI receiver, but still wants the best possible audio and video.