Originally Posted By: bridgman

>>1) extract raw 1080P/24 data on the disk and force a 1080P/24 output

That's an interesting point -- I haven't seen much mention of 720P/24fps -- wonder if there is such a thing ? Seems to me that downconverting BR to 720p would be something I need, since the Z4 seems to do a slightly ratty job of up/down-converting HDMI inputs.
The reason a forced output of 1080P/24 is desirable, is it ensures the MPEG decoder on the player extracts the full data that is stored on the disk. If a display does not accept this (by means of handshake issue or other), the player will pull the interlaced 1080i data of the disk, then scale it to the display’s resolution. You loose a lot of pixel information when this happens. A forced output ensures that the decoder pulls off all the data and lets the display scale as needed.

I’m pretty sure that your projector will accept 1080P/24, which you want. Then let the projector scale that data to 720P.

Just so you know, there is currently NO BR players that internally decode and convert ALL formats to multi channel analogue (if that is what you are looking for). The Panasonic BD 50 and the upper end Denon both have pre-release information saying that they will have this function. The upper line Denon has an MSRP of $1999. I think the BD 50 will run about $600.