KPCrimson,

I'm glad to hear you recommend the Panasonic PT-AX200U. I just ordered one. I had originally purchased an Epson 1080UB that I'm sure I would have been perfectly happy with. However, my wife started to get very nervous of the amount of money I was spending since I am starting a HT from scratch (no current equipment). Since I was not willing to downgrade the audio portion, we decided a good compromise was to return the Epson projector and exchange it for the Panasonic AX200U (720p).

We both researched the 720 vs. 1080 issue and we both basically came to the same conclusion...that the 720 projector will suit our needs very well. We are planning to use either a 92 or 100 inch screen, which I've come to realize in the world of projection is quite small. Our seating will be about 13 to 14 feet from the screen, so the image quality should be excellent. If we could do a larger screen, or if we were going to be sitting closer, I'd probably insist that we go with 1080 (which I've heard is better resolution if you plan to go larger and/or sit closer to the screen). The only real drawback is I will not get the full benefit of my blu-ray, but at a savings of nearly $1,500 on the initial setup cost, it's a reasonable trade off, IMO.

The way I figure it, the technology is always one step ahead of the market. Currently, most, if not all, HD content broadcast through cable or satellite is 720p. Over the next several years, the amount of 1080 content available will steadily increase. Our gamble is the cost of 1080p projectors will continue to go down as the market catches up and, in 2 or 3 years, we'll upgrade then. The gamble may not pay off, but from what I've read about the Panasonic, we are not going to be dissapointed.

Scott