Well technically Robb, they do. You just zoom. But, you will still need a 2.35 screen.

It may be that I have a grey screen and watch movies in the dark (usually), but I don’t notice the bars that much. I do not expend 2.35 images that come across on SD-satellite. They look horrible to start out with, and when I expand them, they are not watchable. But for all other movies with a 2.35 ratio, I don't mind the bars at all (both vertical and horizontal). I suppose if I had a white screen and a projector with horrible black levels, they may be quite distractive.

The reason I went with 2.35 and an anamorphic lens was for the WOW factor. Not to get rid of bars. It’s pretty immersive to be sitting 12’ away from an 8’ image. You can get away with more screen width when the ratio is 2.35 verses 1.78 because the image height is the same. Only the width is more. It is more difficult on the eyes to be constantly moving them up and down to see an image than back and forth. Back and forth eye motion is a natural and fairly consistent thing that they do anyway. Up and down isn’t.